Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live
Aller à la page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 20 Aoû - 10:09 (2014)    Sujet du message: Holy Holy picture disc available for pre-order Répondre en citant

6 AUGUST 2014

Holy Holy picture disc available for pre-order

“Slowly, it’s good and holy”

We recently told you about the upcoming release by Holy Holy of a limited edition 7” picture disc, We Are King / Holy Holy.
Issued by Maniac Squat Records on Monday 15th September 2014, the release will be a very limited edition of 999 numbered picture discs and a digital download.
Numbers 101-999 will be available at the gigs for £15 each and via Amazon.
Numbers 1-100 are signed by the whole band on a special insert and will only be available at the September shows for £30 each.
All pressings come with a four-page numbered information booklet which includes a new exclusive essay on The Man Who Sold The World album and the song Holy Holy by the renowned Bowie historian/writer Nicholas Pegg (The Complete David Bowie).

Tony Visconti on bass and backing vocals, and Woody Woodmansey on drums, are joined by Woody’s stellar supergroup Holy Holy, on the single:
• Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17), vocals
• Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet), vocals, sax, guitar, keyboards, stylophone and percussion
• Erdal Kizilcay (David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Freddie Mercury), bass
• James Stevenson (Chelsea, Gen X, Gene Loves Jezebel, Scott Walker, The Alarm, The Cult), guitar
• Paul Cuddeford (Ian Hunter, Bob Geldof), guitar, mandolin, acoustic guitar, glockenspiel, viola and harmonica
• Rod Melvin (Ian Dury, Brian Eno), piano
• Lisa Ronson (A Secret History), backing vocals
• Maggi Ronson (Mick Ronson, Philip Rambow), backing vocals
• Hannah Berridge Ronson (Colin Lloyd Tucker), backing vocals
• Malcolm Doherty (Rumer), backing vocals

Keep reading for the press release.

PRESS RELEASE - Limited edition 7” picture disc, We Are King / Holy Holy.

Supergroup HOLY HOLY featuring Woody Woodmansey, Steve Norman, Glenn Gregory and Tony Visconti release a double A side single comprising the new song ‘We Are King’, written and sung by Steve Norman of Spandau Ballet with a cover of David Bowie’s ‘Holy Holy’ sung by Heaven 17’s Glenn Gregory.

Released by Maniac Squat Records on Monday 15th September 2014 on a picture disc limited edition of 999 and on digital download.

Legendary Bowie bandmates, producer/bass player Tony Visconti and drummer Woody Woodmansey, are performing together for the first time since 1971 on this single and at four UK dates in September 2014. Fronting the band is Glenn Gregory of Heaven 17 and on saxophone, guitars and vocals is Spandau Ballet’s Steve Norman.

Steve Norman said: “It's a great honour to be able to contribute 'We Are King' to this wonderful project. It's a song which I wrote especially for it and with the übertalented Woody Woodmansey and all the Holy Holy band members in mind. Performing this song along with those amazing Bowie tunes makes me proud. These songs have impacted so much on my personal life as well as my musical career. Working with Tony Visconti and Glenn Gregory is the icing on the cake of this most exciting venture”.

Glenn Gregory said “It has been a little strange over the last few months, I was asked to perform live on stage with some of my absolute all time heroes singing some of the most influential Bowie songs ever, and then as if that wasn’t enough… I’m now singing on a record with those same gentlemen. I think I might just retire”.

The distinctive and robust guitar playing which contributed so much to the artistic success of The Man Who Sold The World was Mick Ronson, who sadly died in 1993. Mick’s daughter Lisa, his sister Maggi and niece Hannah sing on this record and are performing live with Tony and Woody in September.

Tony Visconti said "It was such a pleasure to jam with Holy Holy's drummer, Woody Woodmansey, my former Hype colleague on their new single We Are King. It felt natural, a perfect fit. Glen Gregory's vocals are wonderful on the Holy Holy cover song. I added some vocal tones to this song too. I'm very proud to be part of this recording and ever so excited playing the four TMWSTW shows in the UK this September, with this amazing band of musicians including the very talented and dedicated Steve Norman."

Woody Woodmansey said "I am really excited about playing with Tony Visconti again after so many years; a great rhythm section is always kinda special. The TMWSTW gigs in September, with such a calibre of world class players, who really know their stuff, from Steve Norman, Glenn Gregory, James Stevenson, Paul Cuddeford, Erdal Kizilcay, and the Ronson girls is going to be a little bit of history, as this album has never been performed live, ever!".

Tony Visconti on bass and backing vocals, and Woody Woodmansey on drums, are joined by Woody’s stellar supergroup Holy Holy, on the single:

• Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17), vocals
    • Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet), vocals, sax, guitar, keyboards, stylophone and percussion
    • Erdal Kizilcay (David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Freddie Mercury), bass
    • James Stevenson (Chelsea, Gen X, Gene Loves Jezebel, Scott Walker, The Alarm, The Cult), guitar
    • Paul Cuddeford (Ian Hunter, Bob Geldof), guitar, mandolin, acoustic guitar, glockenspiel, viola and harmonica
    • Rod Melvin (Ian Dury, Brian Eno), piano
    • Lisa Ronson (A Secret History), backing vocals
    • Maggi Ronson (Mick Ronson, Philip Rambow), backing vocals
    • Hannah Berridge Ronson (Colin Lloyd Tucker), backing vocals
    • Malcolm Doherty (Rumer), backing vocals

Notes for Editors
• The vinyl single will include an new exclusive essay by the renowned Bowie historian/writer Nicholas Pegg on The Man Who Sold The World album and the song Holy Holy.
• Holy Holy formed in 2013 to play at Latitude Festival.
• The single was produced by Steve Norman and engineered by Paul Cuddeford, with additional recording by Tony Visconti in New York and by Erdal Kizilcay in Switzerland.
• Tony Visconti has produced more David Bowie albums than anyone else, including Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Young Americans, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters, Heathen, Reality and The Next Day, released in 2013, as well as mixing several others.
• Woody Woodmansey drummed on four of the most important David Bowie albums: The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars and Aladdin Sane.
• We Are King / Holy Holy by Holy Holy is released on Maniac Squat Records, distributed by Code 7 via PHD, catalogue number: MSL2014V001

Social Media
Twitter: @holyholybowie Facebook: www.facebook.com/holyholybowie

Live performances
September 2014 performances by Holy Holy with Woody Woodmansey, Steve Norman, Glenn Gregory and Tony Visconti:

London The Garage Wednesday 17th September SOLD OUT
Sheffield O2 Academy2 Thursday 18th September £18.00 adv
Glasgow O2 ABC Saturday 20th September £20.00 adv
London O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire Monday 22nd September £25.00 adv

Talk
Tony Visconti and Woody Woodmansey discuss the making of The Man Who Sold The World at the ICA, Tuesday 16th September:
https://www.ica.org.uk/whats-on/tony-visconti-and-woody-woodmansey-making-david-bowie%E2%80%99s-man-who-sold-world

davidbowie.com

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Mer 20 Aoû - 10:09 (2014)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 20 Aoû - 12:39 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

HOMECOMING: Former Spider From Mars drummer Woody Woodmansey. Left, with David Bowie and Mick Ronson (Picture: RSA)

David Bowie drummer Woody Woodmansey returns to Hull for Welly gig with Holy Holy and Spiders From Mars classics

Posted: August 15, 2014
By Danny Longhorn

THE former drummer of one of the best-known backing bands of the 1970s – supporting David Bowie – is returning home to where it all started.

Woody Woodmansey, who performed on hits such as Changes, Starman and Jean Genie, is performing in Hull for the first time in almost 20 years.

Woody, who is originally from Driffield, was joined in Spiders From Mars by fellow Hull favourites Mick Ronson and Trevor Bolder, who have both now passed away.

Woody will be performing David Bowie's songs from 1969-1973 at The Welly Club in Beverley Road, on Tuesday, December 23, with his group Holy Holy.

"It's been a while since I've been here," he said. "I'm really looking forward to bringing Holy Holy to the UK City of Culture 2017.

"Hull audiences were always good to us, from The Rats through to The Spiders.

"The Welly is also close to where I used to live."

For Woody, the music all started at his home in Driffield.

He said: "I was five and my whole family said the neighbours complained, saying 'your kid is keeping us awake with his drum kit' – I didn't have a drum kit at the time.

"My uncle didn't like the neighbour, so both my uncles went out and bought a snare drum and stand and two sticks and put me and the bedroom next to their bedroom and said 'make as much noise as you want'. Apparently, I did a good job."

Woody joined Bowie's band after being recommended by Mick, who he had played with in The Rats.

After being sacked by Bowie on his wedding day after several years, Woody continued a successful musical adventure, which has included working with Dexys Midnight Runners, Art Garfunkel and one-off projects with Paul McCartney and Edgar Winter.

Woody said: "It's a great feeling playing these songs and seeing people's reactions.

"Coming to Hull will be a bit like coming a full circle. It all started in this area."

Support at the gig will be John Hutchinson, David Bowie's musical collaborator.

Tickets cost £12, plus a booking fee. Visit hullboxoffice.co.uk for details.

Hull Daily Mail

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 20 Aoû - 20:40 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Holy Holy
(Tony Visconti, Woody Woodmansey, Glenn Gregory, Steve Norman and Holy Holy)

Zouff

MessagePosté le: Mer 20 Aoû - 20:58 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Pas mal du tout, c'est même assez excellent ! La voix est très proche de celle de Peter Murphy...

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Mer 20 Aoû - 21:59 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Très bon en effet. En espérant que l'on puisse écouter leur TMWSTW live ! Wink

zanedog

MessagePosté le: Jeu 21 Aoû - 09:20 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Très bien...du bon boulot...

j'attends la suite surtout la trilogie All the madmen/The man Who sold the World et The Width of the Circle....

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 22 Aoû - 20:57 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Holy Holy
22 août

When we've finished playing the masterpiece of The Man Who Sold The World album at the gigs in September, we're then going to play another hour of our favourite early Bowie songs. We're not leaving the stage that easily!

Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 28 Aoû - 08:28 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Tom Paley and Woody Woodmansey

Cerys Matthews brings you eclectic music from blues to beats with poetry and the best live music sessions.

This weekend she has Tom Paley in session. Tom is an 86 year old American guitarist, banjo and fiddle player now residing in London. He's best known for his work with the New Lost City Ramblers in the 1950s and 1960s.

Woody Woodmansey of The Spiders from Mars will also be popping in to chat about an exciting new Bowie project he's working on with Tony Visconti called Holy Holy.

Mick 'Woody' Woodmansey was the drummer with David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars. He played on Bowie's albums The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and Aladdin Sane.

Duration: 3 hours
First broadcast:Sunday 31 August 2014

Broadcasts

Sun 31 Aug 2014
10:00
BBC Radio 6 Music

BBC Radio 6

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 3 Sep - 19:19 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 6 Sep - 23:57 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

David Bowie performs his final concert as Ziggy Stardust at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, 1973. Picture: Getty

Published on the 06 September 2014 15:59

Tony Visconti on playing David Bowie’s glam album

by FIONA SHEPHERD

DAVID Bowie’s seminal album The Man Who Sold the World has never been played live - until now, collaborator Tony Visconti tells Fiona Shepherd

Tony Visconti can still remember his one and only visit to Glasgow, more than 40 years ago, as a keen young bassist on tour with a band called The Hype. “It was really cold,” he recalls, “and we found a boarding house with three beds for seven of us, so we doubled up and someone slept on the floor. It must have been about minus five in the room and we would feed shillings into this three-bar electric fire which would last for ten minutes and only emanate heat for about two feet. So we slept in our stage clothes, overcoats, hats, scarves, socks and boots, all of us.”

One of his intimates on that frigid visit was the group’s singer David Bowie, the artist with whom Visconti has been most readily associated ever since. The pair met and became friends in the late 1960s, with Visconti going on to produce many of his classic albums, including Space Oddity, Scary Monsters, Young Americans, the hugely influential Berlin trilogy of Low, “Heroes” and Lodger and his audacious 2013 comeback, The Next Day.

Another musician he was snuggling up to on that perishing night in Glasgow was guitarist Mick Ronson, at that point a new and crucial addition to Bowie’s artistic armoury, who acted as a lightning rod in the creation of Bowie’s next album, The Man Who Sold The World.

Its heavy glam rock sound could hardly have been more of a contrast to his previous outing, the folky Space Oddity. Though it suffered initially poor sales, it is widely recognised as the prototype for the Ziggy Stardust sound a couple of years later, with which Bowie finally hit paydirt. In the interim, Bowie took time out from working with a band to make Hunky Dory, so there was never the opportunity to play The Man Who Sold The World live, though covers of the title track by Lulu and, later, Nirvana kept up its profile.

The album has always been one of Visconti’s favourites, and now he has teamed up with original Spiders from Mars drummer Mick “Woody” Woodmansey and his band Holy Holy to give the album a long deserved live workout – including a return trip to Glasgow. “Given that I can’t work with Mick Ronson [who died in 1993] and David Bowie is certainly not interested in looking at the past, I see this as a new reading of an older album because it’s not going to sound the same. I’m going to jam my heart out on these live performances.”

One glaring difference will come in the form of surrogate singer Glenn Gregory, best known as the frontman of 1980s synth trio Heaven 17. “He’s a real powerful singer and I think it would take someone with an exceptional pair of lungs to sing this,” says Visconti, noting that they have lowered the key of the songs to accommodate Gregory’s range. He will be joined onstage by Gregory’s contemporary, Spandau Ballet guitarist and saxophonist Steve Norman – “If Woody approves of him, then I have to go with him, because Woody approved of Mick Ronson,” says Visconti – and, paying their own loving tribute, Ronson’s sister Maggi, daughter Lisa and niece Hannah will provide the backing vocals.

Visconti and Woodmansey will also discuss the making and significance of the album at a separate Q&A event the night before the Glasgow show. Visconti has fond memories of the time. In 1970, he was living with Bowie in the dilapidated wing of an Edwardian mansion in Beckenham, Kent. They cleared out the wine cellar, jammed as loudly as possible and experimented with tape speed and phasing, microphones and acoustics – “using the men’s room as a reverb chamber,” recalls Visconti.

“For the first time, we were recording the environment as well as the music,” he says. “I truly believe that we were way ahead of our time. This was the album where we said, ‘forget about the charts for the moment, let’s see how far out we can get’, because the music David and I loved was by Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention, The Fugs, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground.”

Where previously Bowie had crafted songs in their entirety before recording, here he went with the moment, writing lyrics on the hoof – a practise he continues to this day.

“We just decided to take a risk and that risk came in the form of being introduced to Mick Ronson. David has an unusual knack of writing unexpected chord changes and beautiful melodies that jump, but we didn’t have that lead Eric Clapton guy until we were introduced to Mick, and that changed everything. A few days later he was an equal member of the set-up and teaching me how to play bass. He said, ‘you gotta listen to Jack Bruce, that’s where I’m at’. So he played me some Cream records and I got it, I took control over the lead bass playing on that album. It was so much fun to be liberated from just playing the thumping low beat. There are a couple of duels on that album, Mick and I just flying around like a pair of eagles. It’s probably one of my best moments as a bass player.

“When [late Spiders from Mars bassist] Trevor Bolder was playing my bass parts from The Man Who Sold The World, you could hear that we were writing the future Spiders from Mars sound, and when they did songs from that album it sounded just like a Ziggy song. Some of those bass parts I wrote off the top of my head. They were improvised at the time but now they are kind of standard. I think people expect to hear them the way I originally played them, which is a bit of a problem for me. But that’s why I want to do it [play the album live]. I always want to challenge myself. This way I’ll never grow old.”

Now 70, Visconti has never stopped working as a producer, nor playing bass. He blazed a trail with T.Rex and Thin Lizzy in the 1970s and, in more recent years, has been sought out by Morrissey, Manic Street Preachers and Kaiser Chiefs. But Bowie is still the main man, and the pair resumed their working relationship when Visconti got the long-distance summons to return to New York to work on the demos which would become The Next Day.

“I honestly could not wipe the smile off my face after that,” he says. “We have a common musical vocabulary and we’re friends, I’ve known him over 40 years. We’re relaxed when we work together, not to the point where we’re going to just rehash something, but that attitude that we’re old friends when we come together actually opens up the door to new possibilities.

“Morrissey is a completely different kettle of fish when I work with him. He’s a smart guy and he makes a certain kind of record, but he’s not quite so open to experimentation. No one I know is as open to experimentation as David.”

• Tony Visconti and Holy Holy play The Man Who Sold The World at ABC, Glasgow, 20 September. Visconti and Woody Woodmansey discuss the making of the album at CCA, Glasgow, 19 September.

The Scotsman

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 10 Sep - 02:12 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Holy Holy
Here is a very special exclusive photo never published before.
David Bowie, Tony Visconti, John Cambridge and Mick Ronson - Hype at The Roundhouse 1970 - the first glam rock gig ever.
Photo by Ray Stevenson

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 08:44 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Liz Kershaw
With Tony Visconti

Liz chats to legendary music producer Tony Visconti, who's worked with artists from Marc Bolan to Morrissey and The Manics, and has produced albums for David Bowie across his career, including his comeback album The Next Day from last year.

Liz also gives listeners the chance to show-off their musical knowledge with themed tune suggestions and chats to a listener about their favourite album in All Killer No Filler, which this week comes from PJ Harvey.

Duration: 2 hours
First broadcast:Saturday 13 September 2014

Broadcasts

Sat 13 Sep 2014
13:00
BBC Radio 6 Music

BBC Radio 6 Music

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 14:02 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

The Width of a Circle
Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 17:03 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

After All
Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 17:04 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Tony Visconti has been busy today he is now in the studio rehearsing with Woody and the rest of the boys for #TMWSTW
Holy Holy

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 10:47 (2016)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Aller à la page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >
Page 2 sur 5

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation