Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live
Aller à la page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 17:04 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

In rehearsal this afternoon, from l to r: Paul Cuddeford, Steve Norman, Tony Visconti, Woody Woodmansey, Glenn Gregory and James Stevenson
Holy Holy

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 17:04 (2014)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 17:07 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Woody Tony and Steve taking 5 minutes from rehearsals
Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 13 Sep - 18:25 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Sheffield Bowie show is heaven sent

by Graham Walker

Temptation hit maker Glenn Gregory was easily tempted by his latest job offer - he will join David Bowie’s bandmates to perform the legend’s seminal album, The Man Who Sold the World.

Sheffield’s Heaven 17 front man, today writing exclusively for The Star, describes it as a boyhood dream come true to become his hero.

He revealed how he and then schoolboy pals Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh, who went on to form Heaven 17, even made fake student union passes to see Bowie perform at Sheffield University.

Now he will share the spotlight with the album’s producer/bass player Tony Visconti and drummer Woody Woodmansey, performing together for the first time since 1971.

Completing the line up, on saxophone and guitars, is Spandau Ballet’s Steve Norman.

There will be four shows, two in London, one in Glasgow and another in his home town, at Sheffield’s O2 Academy2, on Thursday, September 18. Full details below.

Tony Visconti, who had been working with Glenn on another music project, asked if he would team up with him and surviving original Bowie band members to perform The Man Who Sold The World, Bowie’s third studio album, which celebrates its 45th anniversay next year. It is where the Bowie story really starts - delivering his signature sound, acknowledged as the birth of glam rock.

Glenn, aged 56, who was celebrating his birthday when he was asked last month, said: “Tony had just offered me the best birthday present ever.

“Me! On stage with some of my all time heroes and other amazingly talented musicians. A long time Bowie fan, actually singing those songs with those musicians, live on stage.

“I was about 12 when I first started listening to Bowie along with Bolan (Tyrannosaurus Rex) as well as bands like The Sweet and even Slade, I was a budding Glam Rocker, but Bowie’s music always seemed to me to be something extra terrestrial. Words and meanings and hidden in poetic strangeness allowing personal interpretation and perfect for an impressionable eager music listener like me.

“I met Martin Ware and Ian Craig Marsh when I was about 14 and we had identical musical tastes. Bowie being one of the artists we were all most interested in.

“We found out that he was playing live at Sheffield University but that we were unable to get to see the gig, as you had to be a member of the Student Union to get in!

“However this did not deter us. With the aid of, can you believe it, a John Bull children printing set and a trip to boots in town to use the photo booth we set about making fake Student Union ID’s.

“Actually, they were quite good and not only did they get us into the Bowie gig, we carried on using them for quite some time and saw some other amazing bands there.

“But I can honestly say none touched me as much as seeing David Bowie on stage that first time.

“It was a life changing experience. It made me want to part of the music industry,buy a pair of sky blue dungarees and dye my hair blue, it made me want to be David Bowie. Now all this time later I have the chance to live a boyhood dream.

“I’m going to be performing some of the best and most influential songs of my lifetime. Live. In my hometown of Sheffield. I have died and gone to heaven.”

* The Man Who Sold The World tour, with guests Holy Holy, will launch with a sold out date at The Garage, London, September 17. It plays Sheffield’s O2 Academy2, Thursday, September 18, tickets £18; Glasgow O2 ABC, September 20, £20, and London’s O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire, September 22, tickets £25. For Sheffield buy in person or visit www.o2academysheffield.co.uk. For all venues call 0844 477 2000 or visit www.ticketweb.co.uk.

The Star

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Dim 14 Sep - 09:35 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

The moment when Tony Visconti and Woody Woodmansey start to play music together for the first time in 43 years.
Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 15 Sep - 09:29 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Hannah Berridge Ronson and Maggi Ronson playing recorder on 'All The Madmen' in rehearsal today.
Mick Ronson and Tony Visconti played those parts on the original track.
It was a special day.
We can't wait to get on stage.
Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 15 Sep - 09:30 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

James Stevenson of Generation X, Kim Wilde, Scott Walker, Gene Loves Jezebel and 72% of all bands since 1978.
James and Paul Cuddeford have nailed the Ronson sound on guitars
Holy Holy

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 17 Sep - 16:46 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

16 SEPTEMBER 2014

“I was going, round and round, the Highbury Garage...”

The chap on the left in our picture will be performing songs written by the bloke on the right at the first of four UK shows this evening.

Good luck to Tony V and his merry men, AKA Holy Holy, at the sold out show at The Garage in London tonight, and indeed, at the remaining performances of The Man Who Sold The World in Sheffield, Glasgow and again in London at the Shepherd’s Bush Empire. All three of which have available tickets.

If you have no clue what we’re going on about, you must be new here. Nevertheless, check out the Holy Holy FB page for more info: http://smarturl.it/HolyHolyFB

David Bowie (Official)

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Sep - 15:56 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Sep - 00:50 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

http://youtu.be/k7EcNfkvQrE

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Sep - 08:58 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Sep - 10:26 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Marc Almond !?  Il était prévu au programme ?

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Sep - 13:37 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Marc Almond était prévu pour le concert du 22 mais depuis plusieurs jours, il était question de surprises sur la page Facebook du groupe.

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Sep - 17:27 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

Tony Visconti & Woody Woodmansey with Holy Holy at the Garage, N5

David Sinclair
Last updated at 12:01AM, September 19 2014

David Bowie was still languishing in obscurity when he released his album The Man Who Sold the World in 1970. It did little to change his circumstances at the time, and most of the songs from the album were never played live — despite its latterly popular title track. But now the albums producer and bass player, Tony Visconti, has joined forces with the drummer Woody Woodmansey and his current band of Bowie aficionados, Holy Holy. to perform the album in full.

At this warm-up date, ahead of bigger shows in Glasgow and Shepherd's Bush, the ensemble put on a heroic, if at times ragged performance, which captured the nascent brilliance and towering ambition of Bowie's songs from this era.

The guitarists James Stevenson (of the Cult) and Paul Cuddeford (of Ian Hunter's band) were magnificent, weaving the intricate. often harmonised parts originally played by the late Mick Ronson on Black Country Rock and Saviour Machine with muscular grace. The moon-faced Glenn Gregory (of Heaven 17), who shouldered the lead vocals for the most part, brought a similar sense of virility to Bowie's tunes and distinctively leftfield lyrics of the time — although Marc Almond threatened to steal the show with his impassioned cameo of After All.

From the opening eight-minute, prog-metal odyssey The Width of a Circle to the Wagnerian epilogue of The Supermen, with its references to the apocalyptic imaginings of Friedrich Nietzsche, this complex album was brought back to life and found to be in surprisingly rude health.

With Visconti being replaced by Erdal Kizilcay for the second half, the event turned into a more general Bowie tribute show-cum-family reunion, with relatives of Ronson, including Maggi (sister), Lisa (daughter) and Hannah (niece), all contributing as singers and instrumentalists. Steve Norman (of Spandau Ballet) took charge of Starman and Glen Matlock (of the Sex Pistols) popped in for Hang on to Yourself and a grand finale of The Jean Genie.

O2 ABC Glasgow, Sat; Shepherd's Bush Empire, Mon

The Times

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 20 Sep - 08:42 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

What next for David Bowie?

CNN's Neil Curry meets the surviving members of the band behind David Bowie's third album "The Man Who Sold The World."

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/09/19/curry-pkg-bowie-band.cnn.html

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 20 Sep - 16:48 (2014)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live Répondre en citant

The Man Who Sold The World at a session at Radio Clyde with (l to r) Glenn Gregory, James Stevenson, Lisa Ronson, Rod Melvin and Steve Norman.

This live session goes out tomorrow night on Clyde 2, with three songs performed by this selection of the band and interviews.

We owe a lot of thanks to Billy Sloan for his support for us up in here Scotland.

Woody Woodmansey's Holy Holy

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 12:32 (2016)    Sujet du message: Visconti and Woodmansey to perform TMWSTW live

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Aller à la page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >
Page 3 sur 5

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation