Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Mike Garson biography due in December

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 27 Nov - 09:18 (2014)    Sujet du message: Mike Garson biography due in December Répondre en citant

26 NOVEMBER 2014

Mike Garson biography due in December

“They tell me, “Garson, we want you...””

The long-awaited Bowie’s Piano Man: The Life Of Mike Garson By Clifford Slapper, is published by Fantom Books in the UK on December 8, 2014.

• First-ever biography of Mike Garson, long-term pianist with David Bowie, who has played on 19 Bowie albums. If you take account of number of live appearances, number of recordings and length of time from first until most recent work with Bowie, then Garson is easily Bowie's most prolific band member.
    • Book contains interviews with many fellow Bowie musicians and producers, including Tony Visconti, Earl Slick, Gail Ann Dorsey, Reeves Gabrels, Sterling Campbell, Zachary Alford, Gerry Leonard, and Maggi Ronson, sister of Mick Ronson, as well as others with whom Garson has worked, such as Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.
    • With 52 great photographs, many never seen before, of Garson with Bowie and others!

WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE - Bowie's Piano Man will be exclusively available via the Fantom website until its trade release in March 2015.
Visit: http://smarturl.it/BPMphantom to pre-order a signed copy and to read more about the book and author Clifford Slapper.

We’ll leave you with a collection of quotations about Mike from various musical associates, including David Bowie himself.

“It is pointless to talk about his ability as a pianist. He is exceptional. However, there are very, very few musicians, let alone pianists, who naturally understand the movement and free thinking necessary to hurl themselves into experimental or traditional areas of music, sometimes, ironically, at the same time. Mike does this with such enthusiasm that it makes my heart glad just to be in the same room with him.”
    David Bowie on Mike Garson

“I had told Bowie about the avant-garde thing. When I was recording the “Aladdin Sane” track for Bowie, it was just two chords, an A and a G chord, and the band was playing very simple English rock and roll. And Bowie said: ‘play a solo on this’. I had just met him, so I played a blues solo, but then he said: ‘No, that’s not what I want’. And then I played a Latin solo. Again, Bowie said: ‘No, no, that’s not what I want’. He then continued: “You told me you play that avant-garde music. Play that stuff!’ And I said: ‘Are you sure? Because you might not be working anymore!’...So I did the solo that everybody knows today, in one take. And to this day, I still receive emails about it. Every day. I always tell people that Bowie is the best producer I ever met, because he lets me do my thing.”
    Mike Garson on David Bowie

“I personally think Mike gives one of his best-ever performances on this piece and it thrills on every listening, confirming to me at least, that he is still one of the most extraordinary pianists playing today.”
    David Bowie on Mike Garson, on “South Horizon”, The Buddha Of Suburbia

“David Bowie has the ability to absorb art and be it, whether painting, sculpture, lyrics, song writing, singing, entertaining, acting. He is art and he knows how to become it, bigger than life. That’s not the kind of artist I am, but he’s got a ridiculous gift, that’s probably been there all along, like a pool of creativity that, if he jumps in he just comes out being it. It sits there, it’s available to him at any second.”

“Mike Garson listens attentively...then plays whatever the hell he wants”
    Producer, Tony Visconti

“Mike Garson is a cathedral of music”
    Jérôme Soligny, Editorial Consultant, Rock&Folk magazine, France

“My latest thing I'm hot to do is collaborate with some other people. Probably at the top of my list this second is Mike Garson from Bowie's band... I don't understand how that sound's coming out of his instrument...”
    Trent Reznor, Nine Inch Nails

“Of the whole lot, Mike is the true genius; we are all just toys in his atonal wonderland”
    Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins

“Mikey, what he can do, is he can go from classical jazz and then he can sit down and play raucous barrelhouse piano like a real guy, he’s not faking it! That’s a rare bird...I don’t really know anyone on this planet that I’ve sat in a room with or even listened to for that matter, who can do what he does, the way that he does it...”
    Earl Slick on Mike Garson

davidbowie.com

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Jeu 27 Nov - 09:18 (2014)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 20 Fév - 13:45 (2015)    Sujet du message: Mike Garson biography due in December Répondre en citant

Mike Garson on newly published biography
Clifford Slapper

Published on Feb 19, 2015
MIKE GARSON PLAYS SPACE ODDITY for launch of "Bowie's Piano Man: the life of Mike Garson" by Clifford Slapper (Fantom Books, 2015).
This year sees the official publication of the first ever biography of master musician and long term Bowie pianist, Mike Garson. It is fully authorised and features many interviews and previously unseen photos and material. In December 2014 we held a pre-launch event in London, and Mike sent this short film over from LA...
Book available worldwide from:
http://www.fantomfilms.co.uk/books/cliffordslapper_mikegarson.htm

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 6 Mai - 14:52 (2015)    Sujet du message: Mike Garson biography due in December Répondre en citant

6 MAY 2015

Win signed Mike Garson biography and CD

“Gimme your hands, 'cos you're wonderful...“

To mark the recent publication of Bowie's Piano Man: the life of Mike Garson (Fantom, 2015) (http://smarturl.it/75zs5v), we have three hardback copies of this first ever biography of Mike Garson to give away, each signed by author Clifford Slapper.

As if that wasn’t enough, each of the winners will also receive a copy of Mike Garson's 2011 solo piano CD, The Bowie Variations for Piano, signed by Mike.

To win, simply tell us what was the first Bowie album on which Mike Garson played?

Email your answer to dbcontests@davidbowie.com with a subject line of: Bowie's Piano Man. The contest closes at midnight GMT on Wednesday, May 20th, 2015.

Bowie's Piano Man: the life of Mike Garson is a wonderful insight into the life and work of the enigmatic Mr Garson. Written by a man who grew up with this music, Clifford Slapper is better qualified than most to write about Garson, being a remarkable pianist in his own right and a lover of the music of David Bowie since the early seventies.

But don‘t take our word for it, here’s what a few other familiar names have said about the book.

"Really great and fascinating! A fabulous book."
Bowie guitarist, Gerry Leonard

“I've been a massive fan of Mike Garson for years and years. I can't believe that this is the first book ever written about him. It's so good to be able to find out answers to questions I've pondered for ages. I think it also helps that it was written by another amazing piano player, Clifford Slapper. I think it brings a unique angle to the book. Loved it to death. It’s fantastic.”
Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17)

"Quite simply it's a great book: engaging, inspiring and entertaining; written extremely well and sympathetically about one of the greatest pianists of our times."
Blues And Soul Magazine

“The book is superb; essential reading for genuine Bowie fans, and indeed anyone who loves music. It's a truly fascinating journey, especially for musicians, writers, artists, and all music industry people.“
Mark Shaw (Then Jerico)

“Bowie fans will obviously adore this thorough and well researched biography. The fact that Slapper is also a pianist, really helps convey the story.”
Cellophaneland Arts Review

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

Albums such as Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Pin Ups, David Live, Young Americans and later 1. Outside, Earthling and Reality all feature the beautiful piano-playing of Mike Garson. Despite being Bowie’s most frequent band member across both live and recorded work since 1972, little has been written about this eccentric and deeply inspirational musical genius in the past. Now fellow pianist Clifford Slapper has written the first ever biography of Mike Garson. It is fully authorised and has huge input from Mike himself, as well as extensive interviews with many others who have worked with him and with Bowie over the years, such as Trent Reznor, Earl Slick, Tony Visconti, Reeves Gabrels, Gail Ann Dorsey and Gerry Leonard.

The book tells the story of how Mike was plucked from the relative obscurity of New York’s underground jazz scene in 1972 by Bowie, and within weeks was touring the States with him. At Bowie's final concert as Ziggy Stardust, in July 1973 at Hammersmith Apollo, Mike came on first and played a solo piano set of Bowie songs. He is a prolific classical composer, jazz master and improviser, and also played with the Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Gwen Stefani, St. Vincent and countless other artists.

Clifford Slapper is also a pianist and played the piano for David Bowie’s appearance on Ricky Gervais’ award winning TV comedy “Extras”. He has also played for Boy George, Lisa Stansfield, Jarvis Cocker, Suggs, Angie Brown, Stereo MCs and Gary Kemp amongst many others. With Billie Ray Martin he created a ground-breaking series of live and partially improvised film-scores in London and Berlin for Polanski’s "Repulsion", and he has been writing for many other artists. He features on recent releases by Marc Almond and Holly Johnson, and played the piano as Dudley Moore in a BBC recreation of the sketches of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, presented by Jonathan Ross.

“I always tell people that Bowie is the best producer I ever met, because he lets me do my thing.”

"I personally think Mike gives one of his best-ever performances on this piece and it thrills on every listening, confirming to me at least, that he is still one of the most extraordinary pianists playing today."
David Bowie on Mike Garson, describing “South Horizon” from The Buddha Of Suburbia.

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

David Bowie (Official)

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 6 Juin - 08:14 (2015)    Sujet du message: Signed Mike Garson biography and CD winners Répondre en citant

30 MAY 2015

Signed Mike Garson biography and CD winners

“Who will guess Aladdin Sane?”

A few weeks back we set a contest to win copies of Bowie's Piano Man: the life of Mike Garson signed by author Clifford Slapper, along with a copy of Mike's CD, The Bowie Variations for Piano, which he has also signed.
To be in with a chance of winning, we asked you to tell us what was the first Bowie album on which Mr Garson played? The lucky random selections below were among the many who correctly answered Aladdin Sane.

Katherine Ellis
    Julian Davis
    James Lark

Could you all confirm your postal addresses and tell us if you want Clifford to personalise your copy of the book. Please email your preference to dbcontests@davidbowie.com with a subject line of: Garson Winner.
Meanwhile, scroll/swipe the images here to view an exclusive and previously unpublished shot of David Bowie with Clifford behind the scenes at the shooting of Extras, taken by photographer Ray Burmiston.

Bowie's Piano Man: the life of Mike Garson by Clifford Slapper is available now. (Fantom, 2015)

davidbowie.com

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mar 11 Aoû - 13:04 (2015)    Sujet du message: Happy Birthday Mike Garson Répondre en citant

29 JULY 2015

Happy Birthday Mike Garson

“I am the best Jazz you’ve ever heard”

Many happy returns of the day to the wonderful Mike Garson on his 70th birthday.
We’re sure everybody reading this will want to join us in thanking Mike for his incredible work with Bowie and in wishing him a splendid day.
If you’re not familiar with Mike’s tale and his long journey as a key(board) player in Bowie’s band, you could do worse than read Clifford Slapper’s excellent Bowie’s Piano Man.

davidbowie.com

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 15:18 (2016)    Sujet du message: Mike Garson biography due in December

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation