Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 8 Déc - 01:14 (2014)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

7 DECEMBER 2014

Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc

“One damn song that can make me, break down and cry...”

As you’ve no doubt already worked out, the next limited David Bowie 7" picture disc will be the 40th anniversary edition of Young Americans.

Originally issued in the UK on February 21st 1975, this 40th anniversary disc of Young Americans is scheduled to be released 40 years and 2 days on from that date.

Young Americans was the lead single from the album of the same name, and it gave Bowie another Top 20 45 in the UK.

The A-Side of this 40th anniversary edition features Tony Visconti’s 2007 Young Americans single mix, which makes its vinyl debut here.

The AA-side (which runs at 33 1/3 rpm), is It’s Gonna Be Me (with strings). This version was first released as a bonus track on the Young Americans special edition CD/DVD in 2007 and it’s also its first time on vinyl.

Here are the full details:

DAVID BOWIE - YOUNG AMERICANS / IT'S GONNA BE ME (WITH STRINGS) LIMITED EDITION 40th ANNIVERSARY 7" PICTURE DISC.

A-Side (DBYA40A)
Young Americans (2007 Tony Visconti mix single edit) (David Bowie)
Produced & mixed by Tony Visconti
2007 Mix by Tony Visconti.
Pro-Tools engineer Mario McNulty
Mixed at Looking Glass Studio, Studio B. With thanks to Dave d'Arcy

AA-Side (33 1/3 rpm) (DBYA40AA)
It’s Gonna Be Me (with strings) (David Bowie)
Produced & mixed by Tony Visconti
Pro-Tools engineer Mario McNulty
Mixed at Looking Glass Studio, Studio B.
String arrangements by Tony Visconti
Vocal arrangements by David Bowie & Luther Vandross
Recorded at Sigma Sound, Philadelphia, PA.

The black and white image on the A-Side of the disc is by the famous Hollywood photographer of the 1940s/50s, Tom Kelley. The image is probably more closely associated with the session that produced the cover for the CHANGESONEBOWIE album and Suffragette City single in 1976. However, this particular shot was first used for the Italian Fame 45 in 1975.

The photograph on the AA-Side was shot by Steve Schapiro, who recently had this to say about working with Bowie and this session in particular: “I think Bowie is very smart and I think he has a great sense of images and in coming up with new kinds of images. The first session I did with him started at four in the afternoon and ended at four the next morning when I did that picture of him on the motorcycle, and we used the headlights of a car to light it. He would constantly come up with new costumes and I would pick up my camera to photograph him and it would be an incredible outfit, but he would stop me and say, ’Wait a minute, I need to fix something,’ and he would go to the dressing room and come back 20 minutes later in something totally different. Fortunately, there would be a lot of things he would try on, so we would get a lot of pictures.”

Young Americans / It's Gonna Be Me is released via Parlophone on February 23rd 2015.

David Bowie (Official)

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Lun 8 Déc - 01:14 (2014)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 8 Déc - 16:22 (2014)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 22 Jan - 12:07 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Ven 20 Fév - 18:58 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

Dans les bacs ! Un peu mutant celui-ci, moitié 45 moitié 33 ...

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 21 Fév - 15:20 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

(Express/Getty Images)

5 Things You Didn't Know About David Bowie's 'Young Americans'
100.7 WZLX

40 Years of David Bowie’s ‘Young Americans’
February 21, 2015 3:00 AM

by Sabrina Boyd

David Bowie‘s famous “plastic soul” album, Young Americans, was released on February 21, 1975.

The album was a strange leap for Bowie, throwing aside his well-known sound to make an album inspired by R&B and soul music.

BBC defined the move as, “rock star kills creation (Ziggy Stardust) that gives him the success he had so long craved and headed off to America to immerse himself in the music that had been his first love – R&B.”

Bowie himself called it “the squashed remains of ethnic music as it survives in the age of Muzak rock, written and sung by a white limey,” as quoted by the AV Club.

As strange a combination as that may seem, it worked for Bowie, producing classic hits like “Fame,” “Fascination,” and of course, the title track, “Young Americans.”

For the album’s 40th anniversary, Bowie is releasing a special edition picture disc of the title single.

It’s a 7″ vinyl featuring Tony Visconti’s 2007 “Young Americans” mix, and an AA-side with “It’s Gonna Be Me” from the 2007 edition of the album.

The picture disc will be released a few days after the actual anniversary, on February 23.
Check out more details on the release here.

In the meantime, let’s take a look back at the original album.

Here are 5 impressive facts about the recording of Young Americans 40 years ago:

1) Most of the album was recorded live.

Bowie wanted to record all of the parts of the album together, live – no overdubs, vocals at the same time in the same room as the band. This took some clever engineering trickery on the part of producer Tony Visconti. Read his story of the first recording session on Bowie Golden Years.

2) Bowie preferred to record vocals late at night.

Or early in the morning, depending on how you look at it. According to Songfacts, Bowie recorded most of his vocals after midnight, copying what he heard Frank Sinatra always did. This partly explains why the sessions went so late, often overnight, the final one ending at 5am.

3) Bowie considered several other titles for the album.

Rolling Stone reports that the session pianist, Mike Garson, suggested “Somebody Up There Likes Me” for the title. The reporter, Matt Damsker, said that song was the “obvious single,” a track that never did get released as a single. If it had been the title track, what would have happened with “Young Americans”?
Bowie also considered “One Damned Song,” “The Gouster,” and “Fascination” for the album title before settling on “Young Americans.”

(Credit: Parlophone)

4) Fans who were camped out outside the studio got to listen to the album when it was finished.

Not surprisingly, a group of fans sat outside of Sigma Sound in Philadelphia throughout the recording process. When the album was finally finished – at 5am – Bowie invited the 10 remaining fans in to listen to it.

5) “Across the Universe” and “Fame” were last-minute additions.

These two tracks were recorded in later sessions. Bowie only recorded “Across the Universe” “for a lark,” according to Visconti, but he liked it, and so did John Lennon when he heard Bowie’s rendition of his song. That lead to Bowie and Lennon writing and recording a new track together, “Fame,” only a month before the album’s release. The two new tracks replaced “Who Can I Be Now” and “It’s Gonna Be Me,” which were later released as bonus tracks on the 1991 reissue.

100.7 WZLX

olivier62

MessagePosté le: Sam 21 Fév - 19:21 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

Trouvé hier à la FNAC:) Un de plus dans ma collection!

Visiter le site web du posteur
tom

MessagePosté le: Sam 21 Fév - 22:42 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

lunamagic a écrit:

5) “Across the Universe” and “Fame” were last-minute additions.

These two tracks were recorded in later sessions. Bowie only recorded “Across the Universe” “for a lark,” according to Visconti, but he liked it, and so did John Lennon when he heard Bowie’s rendition of his song. That lead to Bowie and Lennon writing and recording a new track together, “Fame,” only a month before the album’s release. The two new tracks replaced “Who Can I Be Now” and “It’s Gonna Be Me,” which were later released as bonus tracks on the 1991 reissue.

Les 2 chansons que je n'aime pas. Je les zappe systématiquement.

Zouff

MessagePosté le: Sam 21 Fév - 23:12 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

Oui. Quand on voit ce qu'il a laissé de côté (cf. les "Gouster Tapes", les live, etc.), je me dis toujours qu'il n'a pas été des plus inspiré pour le track listing de cet album...

tom

MessagePosté le: Dim 22 Fév - 17:17 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

Zouff a écrit:
Oui. Quand on voit ce qu'il a laissé de côté (cf. les "Gouster Tapes", les live, etc.), je me dis toujours qu'il n'a pas été des plus inspiré pour le track listing de cet album...

Peut être mais pour être N°1 avec Fame il a vu juste...

zanedog

MessagePosté le: Dim 22 Fév - 19:20 (2015)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc Répondre en citant

Déjà After Today....Ca aurait une belle claque d'emblée.

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 08:37 (2017)    Sujet du message: Young Americans is next 40th Anni Picture Disc

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation