Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Ziggy 40 - 1972.03.17 Town Hall, Birmingham

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 16 Mar - 09:27 (2012)    Sujet du message: Ziggy 40 - 1972.03.17 Town Hall, Birmingham Répondre en citant

ZIGGY'S 40TH BIRTHDAY

1972.03.17 TOWN HALL, BIRMINGHAM
OR THE DAY MICK ROCK MET DAVID BOWIE

ANY DAY NOW | DAVID BOWIE | THE LONDON YEARS: 1947-1974

Friday 17 March 1972
David Bowie, Town Hall, Victoria Street, Birmingham.

Tonight's show - with support from Mr Crisp - is only half-full. After the performance David is interviewed by photographer Mick Rock, who is engaging in a spot of journalism for adult monthly Men Only.

This, their first encounter, continues back at Haddon Hall where they talk until the early morning. "We hit it off straight away," said Rock in 1992. "I mentioned I liked Lou Reed and Syd Barrett and that cemented it."

Rock will soon become part of David's entourage as his official photographer, documenting his changing appearance over the coming months.

For tonight's show his hair has been dyed a light red and slightly restyled by Suzi Fussey, but David tells Rock he is going to make his hair 'even redder'.

Swayed by his Sombrero friend Daniella Parmar's use of different hair dyes (which, he said in 2002
"convinced me of the importance of a synthetic hair colour for Ziggy"), not long after the Birmingham performance David shows Fussey the exact tone he desires in a photograph of model Marie Helvin in a recent fashion magazine.

Modelling the latest styles by Japanese designer Kansai Yamamoto, Helvin appears to have a mane
of bright red hair.

"It was a man's traditional kabuki wig and was very heavy," said Helvin in 2009. "I had to swing it around; it nearly damaged my neck."

Fussey applies a bright red colourfast dye and spikes the crown with Guard, a strong setting lotion and dandruff treatment. The Ziggy hairstyle is born.1

When Rock returns to Haddon Hall a few days later for a daytime photo session, David is in his dressing gown and the new style and deeper colouring have been achieved.2

1. David chose vivid red stage lighting for the majority of Ziggy performances, which exaggerated his hair colour, even before a stronger red dye was applied.
2. A close-up from this session became the cover shot of RCA's 1972 Space Oddity reissue of his 1969 Mercury album. Published in the summer of 1972, Rock's Men Only feature included his photographs of David taken over a few days from Birmingham and Haddon Hall, affectively tracking the progress of his haircut's style and colour.

Kevin Cann - Any Day Now: David Bowie • The London Years: 1947-1974

MOONAGE DAYDREAM – THE LIFE AND TIMES OF ZIGGY STARDUST

DAVID BOWIE: AROUND LATE JANUARY 1972, THE VERY FIRST SERIES OF OUTFITS FOR ZIGGY AND COMPANY WERE MADE BY FREDDIE AND ANYONE ELSE IN HADDON HALL WHO COULD REASONABLY HANDLE A NEEDLE AND THREAD. THIS WOULD USUALLY BE OUR BABYSITIER SUE WHO LIVED DOWNSTAIRS IN THE BASEMENT FLAT WITH HER HUSBAND TONY. ALTHOUGH FULL OF GOOD INTENTIONS, NO ONE ELSE WOULD LAST MORE THAN ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES BEFORE THE PURE HARD GRAFT OF THREADING AND STITCHING WORE DOWN ALL ENTHUSIASM FOR THE JOB.

I had just seen A Clockwork Orange earlier in the month and had been galvanized not only by Kubrick's startling visualisation of Burgess's novel but also his take on functional-chic youth outfits. To lessen the image of violence I decided we should go for extremely colourful and exotic materials in place of the Droog white cotton. I had found a quite lovely piece of faux-deco material in a Cypriot street market a year before and now claimed that for my own. For the band, Freddie chose pastel velveteen cord: one musician, one colour. Pink, baby blue and primrose yellow, if I remember correctly. To reflect the Droogish codpiece, Freddie utilised the highly original Stirling Cooper jeans front panel, (ironically created by brilliant and innovative Cooper designer Anthony Price, who would later become one of Freddie's first fans). As for footwear, I co-opted the stylish wrestling boot, calf high, flatfooted and laced to the top, again in various hues of shiny vinyl. These were ordered and made by Russell and Bromley, a bootshop to the north of either Bromley or Beckenham Library. The red and black vinyl platform boot wouldn't be seen for a month or two, as the Kansai show had not yet hit the rags. They in turn were made by a bootmaker, Stan 'Dusty' Miller by name, of Greenway and Sons, who lived and worked in Penge, in South London. Happily, I met his son, who is now working as a concierge, a couple of years ago in London.

MICK ROCK: Backstage at Birmingham Town Hall, 17th March. The first pictures I ever took of David. I didn't know how to shoot a live concert then, so there is a certain looseness of framing. It was actually through David that I learnt how to shoot live: I could see him night after night and still be inspired to take great pictures.

DAVID BOWIE: MY FIRST AND ONLY STAGE COSTUME CHANGE FOR THOSE FIRST FEW WEEKS WAS INTO WHITE SATIN TROUSERS (NOT MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE AS THEY SMACKED TOO MUCH OF THE HIPPIE ERA) AND A ZIPPERED, COLLARLESS JACKET, IN A MATERIAL OF A KIND OF FLOCK QUALITY THAT HAD BEEN PURCHASED BY DANIELLA AT ONE OF SOUTH LONDON'S INDIAN MARKETS.

MICK ROCK: That evening we met, we returned to London together. David was buzzing after the gig and we went back to his home where I interviewed him. Sitting up in the dead of night, David had plenty to say, and I was very impressed by him.

Moonage Daydream – The Life and Times of Ziggy Stardust (Photographs by Mich Rock / Text by David Bowie)

5YEARS.COM - THE ZIGGY STARDUST TIME-LINE: ZIGGY TAKES SHAPE

Mar-17th 1972

Concert: Town Hall, Birmingham. This is where Mick Rock first meets and sees Bowie perform.

Bowie on stage at Birmingham (Photo and words by Mick Rock)

"The venue is half-empty, and those in attendance are more spellbound than boisterous, but Bowie performs with the energy and fervour of a man with a goal. He seems totally out of context in such dull surroundings"

Bowie backstage at Birmingham (Photo and words by Mick Rock)

"When I first met David Bowie we swapped anecdotes; he wanted to hear about Syd Barrett and I wanted to know about Lou Reed and Iggy Pop. We talked about how Syd had had it all. Syd and David were similar in the way that neither of them sang like an American. At that time there was a big American influence on music, but Syd and David went against that and sang in a British way. David was very aware of Syd; very interested in him. Of course, in 1973 David did a cover version of 'See Emily Play' for his Pin Ups album. There were many parallels between Syd and David early on; although clearly David had a much tougher psyche. David's 'The Man Who Sold The World' always makes me think of Syd. It's a perfect description of him."

5years.com

I'm off for a few days, bon week-end à tous !
Luna Wink

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Ven 16 Mar - 09:27 (2012)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
cm

MessagePosté le: Ven 16 Mar - 10:01 (2012)    Sujet du message: Ziggy 40 - 1972.03.17 Town Hall, Birmingham Répondre en citant

Me too Luna ! flight to another country. Thanx for all. Bon week-end  Okay

cm

MessagePosté le: Ven 16 Mar - 10:18 (2012)    Sujet du message: Ziggy 40 - 1972.03.17 Town Hall, Birmingham Répondre en citant

NB: Marie Helvin - Yamamoto muse

Nightflight
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 16 Mar - 21:32 (2012)    Sujet du message: Ziggy 40 - 1972.03.17 Town Hall, Birmingham Répondre en citant

Merci

"I want to live"

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 20:48 (2016)    Sujet du message: Ziggy 40 - 1972.03.17 Town Hall, Birmingham

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation