Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

ANCIANT album focus: Low

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 21 Aoû - 19:43 (2017)    Sujet du message: ANCIANT album focus: Low Répondre en citant

21 AUGUST 2017

ANCIANT ALBUM FOCUS: LOW

“Share my life...”

In the run up to the September 29th release of the David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977–1982) box set (ANCIANT), we’ll be running a week by week album focus looking at each in chronological order.

As you’ve no doubt gathered, we’re starting with the first LP in the set, 1977’s Low.

Listen to this classic and hugely influential recording over at the official David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town playlist, updated regularly with instant grat tracks and including the material released by Bowie between 1977 and 1982: http://smarturl.it/DavidbowieANCIANT

Pre-order ANCIANT here: https://lnk.to/ANCIANTMP

#ANCIANTbox #ANewCareerInANewTownBox #BowieLow

David Bowie

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Lun 21 Aoû - 19:43 (2017)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 24 Aoû - 07:18 (2017)    Sujet du message: ANCIANT Album Focus: Low Répondre en citant

23 AUGUST 2017

ANCIANT Album Focus: Low

“Don’t you wonder sometimes...”

Ahead of the release of the David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977–1982) box set (ANCIANT) next month, here’s the second instalment of our album focus on Low.

This is Tony Visconti’s introduction from his superbly informative notes (from the ANCIANT book), regarding the recording of Low. As Tony says, it’s a story you may have heard before, but it bears repeating...

I was playing around with my new signal processing ‘toys’ in my home studio in Hammersmith when I got a phone call from David Bowie. I'd had a good business year and my accountant said, “Buy things for the studio. They are tax deductible”. My favourite new toy was the Harmonizer made by a new company called Eventide. David already mixed the ‘Diamond Dogs’ album with me in my home studio and we used an earlier Eventide gizmo, The Eventide Digital Delay, to great effect, very noticeably with the “Bro-bro-bro…” repetition at the end of ‘Big Brother’.
    David was calling from his home in Switzerland and Brian Eno was on an extension. They told me they’d been writing songs for a couple of weeks and had ideas, one side being conventional songs and the other an instrumental side based on Brian’s ambient music compositions. I was asked, “What can you bring to the table?” (This is the first time I heard this phrase not referring to bottles of red and white wine). I said I have a new thing called the Harmonizer (the second sold in the U.K.). “What does it do?” they asked. Hmmm. This thing was so original and difficult to explain in simple terms, so I spontaneously came up with what most people have heard of by now, “It fucks with the fabric of time.” Then I heard big ‘whoops’ from both of them.

LOW FACT FILE:

Working Title: New Music: Night And Day (Last minute name change to the visually punning Low)
Released in the UK as RCA PL 12030 on 14th January, 1977.
Peak UK chart position: #2
Peak US chart position: #11

Original Tracklisting
SIDE 1

1. SPEED OF LIFE
2. BREAKING GLASS
3. WHAT IN THE WORLD
4. SOUND AND VISION
5. ALWAYS CRASHING IN THE SAME CAR
6. BE MY WIFE
7. A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN

SIDE 2
1. WARSZAWA
2. ART DECADE
3. WEEPING WALL
4. SUBTERRANEANS

Bonus tracks on 1991 RykoDisc reissue:
Some Are (3:24) Previously unreleased track recorded 1976-79
All Saints (3:35) Previously unreleased track recorded 1976-79
Sound And Vision (4:43) Remixed version, 1991

Original UK Singles:
Sound And Vision/A New Career In A New Town released February 1977 - (Peak UK chart position: #3)
Be My Wife/Speed Of Life released June 1977 - (Peak UK chart position: N/A)

Did you know that both Mary Visconti (Nee Hopkin) and Brian Eno provide backing vocals on Sound And Vision, as does Iggy Pop on What In The World?

(Pictured on the right of our montage is the US advert for the Sound And Vison 45 and the UK ad for the Be My Wife single)

All songs written by DAVID BOWIE except ‘BREAKING GLASS’ written by DAVID BOWIE, GEORGE MURRAY and DENNIS DAVIS and ‘WARSZAWA’ written by DAVID BOWIE and BRIAN ENO.

All songs arranged by DAVID BOWIE except ‘WARSZAWA’ arranged by DAVID BOWIE and BRIAN ENO.

Produced by DAVID BOWIE and TONY VISCONTI.
Mixed by TONY VISCONTI at HANSA BY THE WALL, BERLIN.
Recorded at THE CHÂTEAU D’HÉROUVILLE and HANSA BY THE WALL, BERLIN between September and October, 1976.
‘SUBTERRANEANS’ originally recorded at CHEROKEE STUDIOS, LOS ANGELES, December 1975.

Don’t forget you can listen to the official David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town playlist here.

Pre-order ANCIANT here.

davidbowie.com

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Dim 27 Aoû - 00:33 (2017)    Sujet du message: ANCIANT Album Focus: Low Répondre en citant

2 6AUGUST 2017

ANCIANT ALBUM FOCUS: LOW

“There'll be others on the line filing past, who'll whisper Low...”

Ahead of the release of the David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977–1982) box set (ANCIANT) next month, here’s the next instalment of our album focus on Low.

Today we’re looking at the evolution of the Low album sleeve. In our video we start with David’s character, TJ Newton, in a still from the film The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Steve Schapiro took a very similar shot which he isolated and created as an artwork (second image) for the US release of the film, adding the orange and black cloud background. The third image is that TMWFTE poster while the fourth and final is the Low cover artwork.

George Underwood used the same still as the basis for his cover of the PAN book of TMWFTE, albeit reversed, while the US paperback also used it with an orange circle, hinting at the poster artwork.

This poster along with advertising utilising the same image, was published as early as July 1976, six months before Low was released. So why was an image that had been around for so long eventually used as the cover for Low?

Well, as you will notice when you get a chance to view the ANCIANT book that comes with the set, David had produced a couple of sketch artwork ideas for the album when it was still called New Music: Night And Day. And before that he was toying with an altogether different title again, providing another example of his fondness for recycling.

In the event, it seems the name change to Low was truly last minute. The album was already mentioned in various forthcoming release lists for January 1977 as New Music: Night And Day and allocated the same catalogue number as Low.

The stickered back as opposed to a proper printed tracklist on the sleeve also suggested a rush job. It seems there was no press kit or even a press release for Low and RCA’s advertising campaign was non-existent before the release. Adverts only appeared after the album had already charted in the UK.

This may be down to the fact that RCA didn’t seem too keen to release the album, suggesting it seemed unfinished and needed more work. By all accounts one RCA exec even offered Bowie a house in Philadelphia if he made another Young Americans. Thankfully, Bowie stood by the finished work and insisted that was what would be released.

Anyway, it’s a great sleeve even if not everybody got the visual pun of Low profile. Here's Bowie shortly after the release:

“You see the album, has a profile of me on it, and on the album itself I keep a very 'low profile'. I was very disappointed no one picked up on that. I thought it would've been obvious.”

Listen to the official David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town playlist here: http://smarturl.it/DavidbowieANCIANT

David Bowie

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Dim 27 Aoû - 15:48 (2017)    Sujet du message: ANCIANT album focus: Low Répondre en citant

Merci Luna ! 
I still adopt the view that music itself carries its own message. That’s why I’m furious you didn’t get to hear the album because the lyrics taken on their own are nothing without the secondary sub-text of what the musical arrangement has to say.

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 16:02 (2017)    Sujet du message: ANCIANT album focus: Low

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation