Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Disparition de Paul Buckmaster

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Lun 13 Nov - 21:12 (2017)    Sujet du message: Disparition de Paul Buckmaster Répondre en citant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Buckmaster

https://youtu.be/1E63Q1NOnOA

Uploading this video on the occasion of having heard today, that arranger and orchestrator Paul Buckmaster has just passed away. The Rolling Stone obituary published a few hours ago states, "Buckmaster's alternately lush and brooding string arrangements enriched, deepened and darkened pop records for nearly 50 years." Paul Buckmaster has been known in the Bowie universe for two things. Firstly, he arranged the strings for Space Oddity. And secondly, he and Bowie worked together in 1975 on the intended soundtrack for the movie Bowie was starring in, Nic Roeg's The Man Who Fell to Earth. The music they created together was recorded in December 1975, at Cherokee Studios in LA . Famously, their soundtrack was never used and remains almost unheard to this day. This despite many signs at the time that it would be used. For instance, Bowie mentions the soundtrack on his Soul Train appearance, and that he was working on it with his friend, Paul Buckmaster. Also, on the rear cover of the paperback of The Man Who Fell to Earth, that had been reprinted with movie cover-art, it stated "Album available on RCA”. However, parts of the unused music were later incorporated into Bowie's albums Station To Station and particularly Low. Nic Roeg says that when Low came out, Bowie sent him a copy and said “This was the music I think I would have done for The Man Who Fell to Earth”. In this excerpt from David Bowie is The Man Who Fell to Earth, scenes from the movie have been reworked with tracks from the second side of Low. It is not known specifically what parts of Low originated in the 1975 sessions with Paul Buckmaster. And only Subteraneans credits Paul Buckmaster (with playing an ARP Odyssey Synthesizer). Young Americans and Station to Station producer, Harry Maslin recorded and produced the recording sessions for the soundtrack. He remembers things this way: "Nothing on Station to Station was recorded for The Man Who Fell To Earth...it was all meant for Station to Station", and he confirms, "I did record much for the film, some of which was used on Low."

In the two famous photographs used at the end of the video, were taken by Brad Elterman, who had waited up all night to take them. It's Bowie and Paul Buckmaster, leaving Cherokee Studios at 7am. Harry Maslin "David is indeed carrying video tapes and shooting script of TMWFTE". How very intriguing that a rough cut of the film was actually produced, that features Bowie and Buckmaster's original music. What became of those video tapes?! In David Bowie is The Man Who Fell to Earth, it was decided not to use Warasawa from Low, because the music for it was composed by Brian Eno, which pretty much eliminates it from having originated from the Cherokee sessions with Paul Buckmaster.

https://youtu.be/cYMCLz5PQVw
I still adopt the view that music itself carries its own message. That’s why I’m furious you didn’t get to hear the album because the lyrics taken on their own are nothing without the secondary sub-text of what the musical arrangement has to say.

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Lun 13 Nov - 21:12 (2017)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
cm

MessagePosté le: Mar 14 Nov - 15:48 (2017)    Sujet du message: Disparition de Paul Buckmaster Répondre en citant

Sur le face B du single de Space oddity, le violoncelle de la magnifique version acoustique de Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud  est joué par Paul Buckmaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPJYNE6A7_Q

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Mar 14 Nov - 16:11 (2017)    Sujet du message: Disparition de Paul Buckmaster Répondre en citant

Goodness gracious !!! c'est si beau... quel frisson et je n'en avais pas la moindre connaissance jusqu'à que tu le postes. Merci beaucoup Chat Malice ... Cette version a-t-elle été reprise sur un cd ? 
I still adopt the view that music itself carries its own message. That’s why I’m furious you didn’t get to hear the album because the lyrics taken on their own are nothing without the secondary sub-text of what the musical arrangement has to say.

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Mar 14 Nov - 16:27 (2017)    Sujet du message: Disparition de Paul Buckmaster Répondre en citant

Quel idiot, je n'avais pas même vu qu'elle se trouve sur le second CD de la rééedition !! Shame on me

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 08:39 (2017)    Sujet du message: Disparition de Paul Buckmaster

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation