Manofmusic Index du Forum

Manofmusic
Espace consacré à David Bowie et à la Culture sous toutes ses formes

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter
Aller à la page: 1, 2  >

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 00:09 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

28 DECEMBER 2017

Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter

“Screaming above Central London”

Back in October 2013 we exclusively posted the complete list of “DAVID BOWIE'S TOP 100 BOOKS”.

In case you’ve not already seen it on Twitter, Duncan Jones has now kicked off what we’re calling the Bowie Book Club. Here’s what he said about the idea and his first selection.

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

Duncan Jones @ManMadeMoon Dec 27
    My dad was a beast of a reader. One of his true loves was Peter Ackroyd’s sojourns into the history of Britain & its cities. I’ve been feeling a building sense of duty to go on the same literary marathon in tribute to dad. Time allowing...
    #Read-ItBig’nsTheBrain

Duncan Jones @ManMadeMoon Dec 27
    Alright gang! Anyone who wants to join along, we are reading Peter Ackroyd’s “Hawksmoor,” as an amuse cerveau before we get into the heavy stuff. You have until Feb 1.

Hawksmoor is in DAVID BOWIE'S TOP 100 BOOKS list, indeed it’s one of the books we illustrated in our montage back in 2013. It’s also a work we’ve loved for a long time here at DBHQ, since David first recommended it many years ago. We’ll leave you with the synopsis for this gripping and terrible tale of two Londons separated by two and a half centuries.

'There is no Light without Darknesse and no Substance without Shaddowe'

So proclaims Nicholas Dyer, assistant to Sir Christopher Wren and the man with a commission to build seven London churches to stand as beacons of the enlightenment. But Dyer plans to conceal a dark secret at the heart of each church - to create a forbidding architecture that will survive for eternity. Two hundred and fifty years later, London detective Nicholas Hawksmoor is investigating a series of gruesome murders on the sites of certain eighteenth-century churches - crimes that make no sense to the modern mind . . .

'Chillingly brilliant . . . sinister and stunningly well executed' - Independent on Sunday

Peter Ackroyd was born in London in 1949. A novelist, biographer and historian, he has been the literary editor of The Spectator and chief book reviewer for The Times, as well as writing several highly acclaimed books including a biography of Dickens and London: The Biography. He lives in London.

#BowieBookClub #ReadingIsBrainFood

davidbowie.com

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 00:09 (2017)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 07:49 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

J'aime bien cette idée proposée par Duncan. Hawksmoor a été  traduit en français, L'architecte assassin. C'est un livre rare, jamais édité  en poche dans sa version traduite. Je ne me risquerai pas à la vo mais je vais tenter la vf.  Wink

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 09:49 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Voilà une idée de playlist qu'elle est bonne !
C'est parti avec Hawksmoor en VO.
Un par mois, on va essayer de garder le rythme !

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 11:28 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

HAWKSMOOR
Peter Ackroyd

In recent years serial killer novels and films have become something of a cliche. It's a genre which has been done to death with only a few works standing above the herd. So Hawksmoor was a very refreshing change. A novel set in London, with two threads, one in the 1800's and one in contemporary times. The novel opens in the period following the Great Fire of London, with one Nicholas Dyer, an assistant surveyor in scotland yard who eventually becomes an apprentice to Christopher Wren. He is commissioned to rebuilt the lost churches of London. In the present we are introduced to a series of characters, including a young boy and a vagrant, whose stories are painted with a lavish brush, before we meet the eponymous hero of the novel.

Hawksmoor is the detective investigating a series of serial killings, located in the vicinity of a number of churches across London. It is here that the various sub plots are brought together, the story centring on Hawksmoor attempts at unravelling the mystery.

All the while the story of Dyer's architectural plans and the rebuilding of London unravel simultaneously. His true character is gradually exposed, revealing unexpected connections between the two disparate storylines.

The conclusion of the novel is both unexpected and uncomfortable, a brilliant conclusion to a work with a great psychological presence. Ackroyd brings the personalities of his characters to the fore, places them in a lushly drawn backdrop, and shows the story through their eyes.

One of the most impressive things about the novel is the way Ackroyd treats the serial killer storyline, keeping it very much in the background, shown only through the eyes of the characters and the ensuing investigation. It never dominates the proceedings, and Ackroyd instead concentrates his energy on exploring the eighteenth century events that hold a key to the present day. It is both chilling and filled with an aura of corruption, a reinvention of history and a fresh look at the present through the eyes of history.

It has been a while since I have read a novel this satisfying, an enthralling story on all levels with an ending that stays with you long after you've finished it.

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 12:17 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Tu l'avais déjà dans ta bibliothèque Luna ? Shocked

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 12:26 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Non, je l'ai juste acheté ce matin sur eBay !
Par contre, j'ai déjà la version ebook ! Very Happy

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Ven 29 Déc - 15:20 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Let's read !   Wink

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 30 Déc - 11:00 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Un extrait :

There are those like me seiz'd with Feaver upon that day when they first came into the World, and I have good reason to Sweat on each fifth day of December for my first Entrance upon the Stage was attended with all the Symptoms of Death, as if I had been sensible of my future Works. My Mother gave me birth (or hatch'd her Egg, as they say), all bloody and Pissburnt in the hour before Dawn: I could see the grey Bars of Light rolling towards me, and I could heare the winde which gives signal of the end of Night. In the corner of the narrow mean Chamber, my Father stood with bow'd head since his Dame seemed about to leave this World presently, having endur'd many painful Hours during my Birth. The sunne rose up before the House: I could see it burning, and the shape of my Father crossing and crossing againe in front of it so that he seemed a meer Shaddowe. Truly this was a vale of Tears I had come upon, and thus was I like Adam who on hearing the voice of God in the Garden wept in a state of Primal Terrour. Had Nature design'd me to take up only some insignificant and obscure Corner of the Universe this would be but a meer prattling Relation but those who see my Work will wish to be acquainted with my first Appearance in the World: it is a matter of Certainty that, by a narrow Observation of the Temper and Constitution of the Child, we will see in very Embrio those Qualities which afterwards make it remarkable in all Eyes.

—Peter Ackroyd - Hawksmoor

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Sam 30 Déc - 21:56 (2017)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Okay
I still adopt the view that music itself carries its own message. That’s why I’m furious you didn’t get to hear the album because the lyrics taken on their own are nothing without the secondary sub-text of what the musical arrangement has to say.

Jack Sikora

MessagePosté le: Mar 2 Jan - 22:54 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Me plongean à l'Ouvrage de Master Ackroyd, j'en perdois ce Jour d'Hui tout bon François de mon Tems. Laughing

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Mar 2 Jan - 23:35 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

merci !
I still adopt the view that music itself carries its own message. That’s why I’m furious you didn’t get to hear the album because the lyrics taken on their own are nothing without the secondary sub-text of what the musical arrangement has to say.

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Mer 3 Jan - 08:54 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Je viens de commander son ouvrage sur John Dee  Laughing Cool

cm

MessagePosté le: Mer 3 Jan - 18:31 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Soul-Duke a écrit:

Je viens de commander son ouvrage sur John Dee  Laughing Cool
tu sais que Damon Albarn a composé un opera a son sujet en 2011?

Dr Dee: An English Opera= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4juXgHIZ6E

Soul-Duke

MessagePosté le: Mer 3 Jan - 21:06 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

oui je sais mais je trouve ce qu'il a fait assez décevant dans les extraits que j'avais entendu. Je suis assez Old School avec ce type de subject ...thanks anyway Wink

lunamagic
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mar 9 Jan - 16:04 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter Répondre en citant

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 04:54 (2018)    Sujet du message: Duncan launches Bowie Book Club via Twitter

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Manofmusic Index du Forum -> David Bowie -> J'ai entendu un truc sur David Bowie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Aller à la page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 sur 2

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | creer un forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation