English Translation of Explanatory Footnotes of The Next Day Japanese Deluxe Edition
The Next Day Japanese Deluxe Edition [Limited Release] [Blu-spec CD2]
English translation of explanatory footnotes for each song
2. Dirty Boys
* Tobacco Road: The novel written by Erskine Caldwell in 1932. Filmed by John Ford in 1941.
* Finchley: The district in the north of London.
3. The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
* Do the names imply Brigitte Bardot, Jack Nicholson, Kate Moss, and Brad Pitt?
* Satyr: The spirit which appears in Greek myths. It is said to be the incarnation of abundance and embodiment of lust, and is also said to be the symbol of male genitals.
5. Where Are We Now?
* Potsdamer Platz: A public square in Berlin, Germany. It is the traditional center of economy, but it was divided into two parts due to the boundary blockage between East and West Germany and the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961. In addition, the Potsdam Declaration, which demanded Japan to surrender unconditionally in 1945, was declared by the congress held in Potsdam, which is located in the suburb of Berlin.
* Nürnberger Strasse: The street in Berlin
* Dschungel: The club which existed in Berlin
6. Valentine's Day
* Valentine: A Christian martyr who is believed to have existed in the 3rd century. He is said to have given flowers to married lovers and have become the object of faith as the guardian saint for lovers. The 14th day of February is believed to be the day of his martyrdom.
8. I'd Rather Be High
* Nabokov: The Russian American novelist / entomologist (1899 – 1977). His representative works are "Lolita", "Pale Fire", etc.
* Grunewald: The German painter in the 16th century (1470? – 1528). He is known for the Isenheim Altarpiece.
10. Dancing Out In Space
* George Rodenbach: A poet from Belgium in the latter half of 19th century. (1855 - 1898)
11. How Does The Grass Grow?
* Riga-1: The motor bike produced in Latvia in 1959, the Former Soviet Union period.
12. (You Will) Set The World On Fire
* Gaslight: A coffee house located in the Greenwich village of New York. It is known as the sacred place of folk songs.
* Banshee: A female fairy that foretell a family member's death by crying loudly.
* Yukio Mishima wrote dramas named 'A Female Dog' and 'The Peacock'.
17. I'll Take You There
* Is this Lev Grossman, the novelist / book reviewer known for 'CODEX', 'The Magicians', 'The Magician King', etc.? His wife is also a novelist / the faculty of Princeton University, Sophie Gee.
Written by Tomoya Kumagai / Translated by Eri Wilde